Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Years Resolutions....GHAAAHH!

I am NOT going to apologize for not blogging- my blog, my rules- including ignoring it for a month. I ignored the blogging world because it was Christmas and it was busy! Lot's of cooking, eating, playing of games and eating, curling and eating and x country skiing and eating and lets not forget the eating. We spent lots of time with Whitney and Brad and the 3 little boys which is the joy of my life. I am so grateful and glad they are living close by!!! Paige and Eric came for three weeks and they brought their cat, who was amazing and just sat in her little crate like a seasoned traveler, well behaved feline, unlike our cats who literally SCREAM bloody murder the entire 20 minutes to the vets. This cat spent 9 hours traveling from the Fizzell abode in Vancouver to the Robinson abode in Alberta in a small carry on- She endured a walk to and a ride on the sky train, a 2 hour wait at the airport, an hour and 1/4 airplane flight, then a 2 1/2 hour drive in a car.... with no tranquilizers! I tell you all this because when we moved to Raymond from Denver, I gave our cat not one but two tranquilizers and put her in a huge crate so we could drive to Raytown. It was a 16 hour drive. She didn't even make it out of the driveway. I realized that there was no way in heaven or hell that I could listen to the sounds of that demon harpie in the back of the van for 16 minutes let alone 16 hours. Sounds like I had never heard before, coming from a pretty decent cat, but now amplified to ear shattering decibels. I drove her to a dear friends house and asked her to take the cat to the pound for me. I threw in the nifty cat kennel to spice up the deal. This dear friend must have seen the desperation on my face because she just said ok, we'll take care of it. They actually kept said cat and gave her a good home, for which I am eternally grateful, but seriously- it was like listening to someone being tortured to death in a slow painful way. Paige's cat let out a few soft squeaky meows then went to sleep. Who does that? This cat did and I was grateful. She was most exemplary (except for a first bout with being in heat, where upon she turned into a strumpet for a few days...which was interesting, eye opening, educational in a wild kingdom kind of way, strange and funny all at the same time.) Speaking of heat- where the shmell is winter? No snow!- long sleeve or sweater weather most of the time. I need my cold, people!!!! I need a reason to wear sweats all day! I need to go outside and feel my nose hairs stick together and hear the crunch of snow when you walk on it. I need a place to go sledding and x country skiing and snow shoeing and possibly ice skating! Open water in Waterton? What's with that?? pfff- at this rate the global warming freaks will use this as fodder! Also not going to apologize for calling the global warming freaks freaks. I see this "movement" as a way for politicians, environmentalists and fat cats to regulate and choke the economy and get rich themselves....cough ...sputter...Al Gore...cough.. ahem... Yes we need to conserve and respect the earth but people, come on- the earth has always cycled in and out of ice ages and warming trends. Get a grip! I wax political...my blog, my rules. Whoah, I covered a few topics there- rein it back in, Louise!!! That, my friends, is how a menopausal mind works. From cats in heat to global warming in one fell swooping breath- Amazing and incredible, no?

The new year always seems to brings on reflections of ones life and maybe makes one decide on things that need to change or be worked on. I hesitate to actually write these things down because there will be written proof of the failures, dang it. But here goes, my 2012 New Years Resolutions, in no particular order.

1. As always I have to work on losing the 5 pounds I throw on like a warm blanket at Christmas, (see above list of Christmas activities...ie the eating parts) which takes approximately 3 weeks to add on but takes 6 months to get off. I usually get the Christmas 5 gone for good just in time to sit on the beach at the lake for 3 months and then it comes back. Except last year I trained for a mini triathlon so it didn't come back so that was an improvement...which I plan to repeat in 2012. Dang koolaid popcorn. Last night I tried desperately to just throw an entire bucket of it in the garbage can.. I couldn't do it. It is the love of my life. Mothers milk! Maybe tonight I will have success at throwing it down the drain instead of throwing it down my throat.

2. After events in my life which smacked me upside the head with an ear shattering splat, I determined that I need to work on how I think, write or talk to and or about others. Sometimes the Lord lets you step in it up to your eyeballs to teach you a much needed lesson. I now make a conscious effort to think before I speak. I don't write anything anywhere that I would not want another person to read. It is a daily process and even though I am not perfect and still slip up in the thought department, there has been a much needed change. It will continue in 2012. I reserve the right to complain ...loudly, and vehemently about politicians, especially American ones. They don't count. My head would explode. But I will try to keep it somewhat respectful and to a dull roar.

3. I am going to actually STUDY the scripture instead of just reading them, more precisely the Book of Mormon. I have the best way to do this and thought it would be good to share it with you- Get yourself the books written by David J Ridges. They are called The Book of Mormon Made Easier- ( or old testament, new testament etc) He writes the scriptures with emphasis, cross references and commentary inserted all through it that help you understand it better and he also brings out things that I had never thought of. I LOVE it! I have found myself reading and marking and noting things for 2 hours sometimes and I actually look forward to the morning. I can't wait to do the next chapter. I do a chapter a day...except when I can't wait to see whats next like this morning- 4:30 am to 6:30 am- one of those times you can't sleep. But those sleepless times will not be wasted again- they will be filled with great study time! WHOOOAH!!! I think it may take a few years to get through the 2 volumes for the Book of Mormon but it will be so worth it!!

4. I want to make 2012 a year of saving money instead of just living paycheck to pay check with a bit put aside. I realized I am getting old and Stewart is getting even older. It's time to start getting serious about retirement and what we will live on. It's a scary thought, because we are basically self employed, and although we have put some aside for retirement, it is not enough. It would help if the American economy would straighten out...2012 and hopefully a new direction in the American Government!! Fingers crossed!

I am a believer in not making to many resolutions because then they are all too daunting and you just give up. Make a few that you can and will actually accomplish and you've got a winner, not a wiener, says I !! I wish you all a happy and productive New Year !!! SNOW, DANG IT!!!

1 comment:

whitney said...

well it snowed, are you happy?
You better get going on that retirement money cause I don't have any extra for my old parents!